Thursday, June 7, 2007

First Time Out

What i find truthful today maybe nowhere near the reality of what was and if you ask others i am sure they would say my accounts are not accurate and far too romantic to be truthful. With this i start a blog with lofty ideals of what is to come and what i have left behind but always being clear of my memories and my lies. It is 1973 and I am 10 years young.

The summer of 1972 my family visited the USA; New York, Washington DC, Jacksonville and Miami. Summer is such a great time for change. Creativity flows when the structures that dominate our childhood no longer wield their powers over our playfulness. I remember my encounter with Jackson Pollock, i have a hard time separating the painter from the work, to me they are one and the same. It was at the Museum of Modern Art, i think? My childhood was one of plenty but i was the kid that never fit in. Let me correct that - the kid who thought he never fit in. The Pollock painting at the MOMA was an embrace an affirmation. Its warmth filled my body and i understood that it was ok to be anything or anyone. It gave me the strength to continue being myself and i fell in love with painting and Jackson. As with all stories there is more.

It took some time but after the summer of 1972 i made my first painting, January 4, 1973. My parents had some painting supplies in a closet and i tried to make something.




My second painting May 3, 1973. Today i still love to paint flowers, butterflies, suns, moons and water.



Enjoy,
Mr. Crab Claw (The name becomes clearer about 1988 or 1989?)

No comments: