Monday, July 16, 2007

coffee, cigar & a couple of beers

I have been wondering lately about my job. Should i leave and go on to a more financially fruitful endeavor and as with yesterday the response to my wondering is in the form of a younger individual. An ex-student of mine in working in a cigar shop and tonight he called to see if we could get together for a smoke. He came by to pick me up and took a look at the drawings from "A Season in Hell". We headed of to Starbucks for coffee and cigars. After a couple of hours of conversation, Starbucks had closed by then he asked if we could go have a beer. "Always say yes" is my motto, you never know what they need until you are told and sometimes it takes a little bit of time.

We talked about art, writers, girls and family but by the end of the night he took with him a sketchpad for charcoal and pastels, a piece of inked dipped canvas and Nabokov's "Lolita" (my own personal copy). So now you know, coffee cigar and a couple of beers will get you my "Lolita".


"Surely I'd give it for a nipple a rubber Tacitus
For a rattle a bag of broken Bach records"
- from Gregory Corso's poem Marriage


No comments: